Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Creative Book Report Ideas
Student Response Pages
Activity 6 Practice 2
1. In large metropolitan areas, the yellow pages are a useful means of locating businesses, services, and products, the average customer would be lost without this aid.
2. Very overweight and stocky, Mr. Jackson didn’t understand fully how his weight problem affected his health, his doctor, after giving him a physical, put him on a strict diet of fruits, vegetables and lean meat.
3. I am not ashamed to admit it, I do enjoy reading a good book, one which is entertaining, one which stimulates my thinking, and one which captures my imagination.
4. Slicing over the ice-covered road, the car lost traction briefly, spun toward the edge of the highway, but finally righted itself, the car in the other lane, fortunately, moved out of the way.
5. Wandering aimlessly for days, Indiana Jones couldn’t escape the dreaded banana bearers, his companion, after surveying the situation, suggested they put bags over their heads, run around in circles, and climb trees quickly.
Activity 4 Practice 2
The sentences below have movable sentence parts that are underlined.
Reposition the movable sentence parts. Make sure that your sentence is as effective as the original.
1. Taran cried,
his teeth chattering violently
2. The fog horn was blowing steadily,
once every fifteen minutes
3. He sat on a rail fence,
watching the night come over Gettysburg
filled with dissatisfaction
, he had gone to his room and got into bed.
5. There are boys from broken homes, and boys who have been in difficulty with the law,
studying in the classrooms
working in the fields and in the workshops
6. Somewhere there, on that desolate plain, was lurking this fiendish man, hiding in a burrow like a wild beast,
his heart full of malignancy against the whole race which had cast him out
7. Alan made a business of checking his own reflection in the mirror,
giving Norris time to make a clean getaway
, while Keeton stood by the door,
watching him impatiently
8. Standing in front of the room,
her blond hair pulled back to emphasize the determination of her face
her body girdles to emphasize the determination of her spine
her eyes holding determinedly to anger
, Miss Lass was afraid.
9. She ate a great deal and afterward fell asleep herself, and Mary sat and stared at her and watched her fine bonnet slip on one side until she herself fell asleep once more in the corner of the carriage,
lulled by the splashing of the rain against the window
10. The garden was
to the left of the barn and the pasture
hidden from the house by the smokehouse and a pecan grove and a row of little peach trees that
because of the drought
had dropped hard knotty fruit not even fit to make spiced pickle with.
Activity 5 Practice 1
Each list below, when unscrambled, will become one of the sentences in a paragraph from Michael Crichton's
. In that paragraph, a tyrannosaur attacks a Land Cruiser (car) containing two children, a brother and sister, during a thunderstorm.
Directions: Unscramble the lists to produce the four sentences in the paragraph. In each List, the part that begins the sentence is capitalized.
la. with a muddy splash
b. The rear of the car
c. and then it thumped down
d. into the air for a moment
e. lifted up
2a. of the car
b. Then it moved
c. around the side
3a. that blended with the thunder
b. At the back
c. a deep rumbling growl
d. the animal snorted,
4a. out of all the side windows
b. The big raised tail
c. blocked their view
5a. mounted on the back of the Land Cruiser
c. It sank its jaws into the spare tire
d. tore it away
e. in a single head shake,
After unscrambling the sentences, arrange them, then write out and punctuate the paragraph.
Tuesday's Assignment: Predict - What secret Kit was hiding, even from the Captain's wife? She is a puritan because she was teasing them so she might have been trying to hide that she is one.
Last sentence read: "The Kit saw Captain Eaton approaching and knew that the moment had come when the truth would have to be told." What changes to your prediction from yesterday will you make?
After hearing Chapter 2, what changes will you make to your first prediction regarding the secret? She hated the ship completely because she said she thought the boat was filthy and smelly.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"